Sunday, November 7, 2010

Classic Dinner Roll Knots with a Twist...Get it?

My sister in law, Jennifer gave me this recipe a few years back and I have never gotten around to trying it until now. I loved it either way (as in the original or my new version). Especially warm with honey butter...actually, all I know is warm since they were gone before they had a chance to get cold. Literally. So, you'll have to let me know how they taste after they have been stored.

Dinner Roll Knots (Original):

4 1/2 C. Flour
1/4 C. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 Warm milk (about a minute in the microwave does it perfectly)
1/2 C. Butter or margarine
2 Large Eggs
Cooking Spray
Poppy Seed or Sesame Seeds (optional)


Combine one Cup Flour, sugar, UNDISSOLVED yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. (I don't like to put yeast right on salt since it can kill it, so I mix the other 3 ingredients first before I put in the yeast. Add milk and butter; beat 2 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer (or in kitchenaid type thing if you have it); scraping bowl occassionally. Add one egg and one cup of flour; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add enough remaining flour to form soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl while mixing for three more minutes. Spray top of dough with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap (Or I just put a clean kitchen towel over the top if it has plenty of room to rise.) and let rest for 10 minutes. {For later use, dough may be refridgerated up to 24 hours.} Remove dough from bowl. Punch down dough and divide into 24 equal pieces. (For those Math-challenged: Cut it into 3 pieces and then each of those into 4 and each of those in half.) Roll each piece into a 9 inch rope. Tie loose knots in center of each rope. Place on sprayed cookie sheet. Spray top of rolls with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 20-40 minutes. Beat remaining egg; brush on rolls. If desired, sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.

My Healthier Version:
The only difference I madeto the recipe is that I replaced the butter with white beans (See instructions below.) and the white flour with wheat flour. Okay, I actually used all wheat except for one cup of white. Just remember to put them in an airtight container after cooled so they don't dry out.

White Beans Puree:
Put one can of Great Northern White Beans in the blender with a few Tbsp. of reduced fat sour cream and a little bit of water. Puree. It should be the consistency of runny peanut butter. If it is too thick add a little more water. It can replace butter cup for cup in the recipe.

Honey Butter:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine and beat until lightly fluffy.

If you have any questions let me know. I will add a picture later. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. finally! I have wanted that recipe forever. Thanks I will make them this week.
    Deon

    ReplyDelete