Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Elizabeth's Favorite Books

The Book of Mormon. The Bible. The Doctrine and Covenants. And, of course, The Pearl of Great Price.

I win.

Ha ha ha, I'm so funny. But seriously now, those are great books. But I see that we're talking about novels, most likely fiction. So here you go.

My favorite books are:

Peter Pan -- As much as I like the play and movies that have been made from this, the book is 100 times better. J.M. Barrie tells a fantastical story while making the reader think about his or her own life and mind and imagination. It's a short book and not hard to read, which is another reason why it's amazing how it makes me ponder so much. Plus, it's funny. Humor is always appreciated. (And while we on the topic of Peter Pan, the series written by Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry called, "Peter and the Starcatchers" is awesome. And again, hilarious.)

Little Women -- If I lived 150 years ago, I would be Jo. Living in 2010, I want to be Jo (especially the getting to marry Fredric part). The book is a great story, to be sure, but it offers more than just a good plot; there are words of wisdom sprinkled throughout, and you get attached to the characters like you do your own sisters (even Amy, who's basically a snob the whole time).

Pride & Prejudice [& Zombies] -- The original Jane Austen novel is really my favorite because without reading and loving it first, I wouldn't have enjoyed the Zombies edition nearly as much. The original (and the zombies one too) is witty and complex without being overbearing. There are slow parts, as is true with most books, but it makes the good parts that much better.

All three of these novels have also been made into good movies. So if you're more into watching then reading, there ya go.

No comments:

Post a Comment